[MyAppleMenu] May 22, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 22 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Apple's Euro Market-Share Rising (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4692>
Apple's year-on-year unit-sales climbed 21.2 per cent from 2.5 per cent in the first quarter 2001, to 3.2 per cent in Q1 2002.

Where Apple Doesn't Always Play Nice (Charles Haddad, BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020522_5198.htm>
Here's the real test of harm: Has Apple's borrowing stymied innovation? I see no sign of it. And here's the hard truth. Given its resources, Apple can often make an imitation that's better than the original.

=== news =============

Netscape Releases First Preview Of Netscape 7 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/lib/020522ns7.shtml>

Apple To Branch Out Into Networks (Liesbeth Evers, vnunet.com)
<http://networknews.vnunet.com/News/1131824>
After years of focusing on personal computers, Apple is moving into enterprise networks with the release of a 1U rack-mount server for large organisations.

Playing The Apollo, And The Apple (James Barron, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/22/nyregion/22BOLD.html?tntemail0>
Stevie Wonder used the time they were inching through the traffic to demonstrate his iPod for Wynton Marsalis.

=== opinions =============

Why Microsoft Is Winning The Game (Jon Gales, MacMerc.com)
<http://www.macmerc.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=32>
Why can't Apple make a Windows program to save off email, bookmarks, and other easy to retrieve but annoying to do so data onto an iDisk or something similar to retreial on a Mac?

Is Apple A Software Bully? (BusinessWeek)
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2002/tc20020522_0577.htm>
Do you think it's ethical for Apple to imitate the innovations of third-party programmers in order to deliver better Apple products?

What A Difference (Dave Winer, Scripting News)
<http://scriptingnews.userland.com/backissues/2002/05/22#whatADifference>
Today, after a series of utterly stupid gaffles in developer relations, Microsoft is losing to Apple, and that's ridiculous, because Apple is everything that a developer company is not.

Hey Apple Has Developers (Dave Winer, Scripting News)
<http://scriptingnews.userland.com/backissues/2002/05/22#heyAppleHasDevelopers>

How OS X Is Growing The Mac User Base (Kevin Webb, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/webb/02/0522.html>
The ability to add users from previously unreachable sectors will only help grow the important user base.

=== reviews =============

Netscape 7.0: A Lot To Like (Jim Rapoza, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=27241,00.asp>
The new browser has useful user interface aids, strong standards support and a much improved mail client. However, there aren't a whole lot of new ideas reflected here.

ProThrottle USB (Tim Morgan, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=252>

Dreamweaver (Ian Betteridge, MacUser)
<http://www.macuser.co.uk/macsurfer/php3/openframe.php3?page=http://www.macuser.co.uk/macsurfer/printreview.php3?id=36057>
Even if you're not going to use all of the database driven application development features, Dreamweaver MX is a worthy purchase and a worthy upgrade for current users.

Photo Editing 101: What Software NOT To Use (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2865139,00.html>
Windows XP provides enough of the functionality on my PC, and Apple's iPhoto does it far better on the Mac. As for higher-end (but still simple) photo editing and enhancement, Adobe Photoshop Elements remains my program of choice.

=== internet news =============

Netscape 7.0: A Lot To Like (Jim Rapoza, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=27241,00.asp>
The new browser has useful user interface aids, strong standards support and a much improved mail client. However, there aren't a whole lot of new ideas reflected here.

Netscape Releases First Preview Of Netscape 7 (MacMinute)
<http://www.macminute.com/lib/020522ns7.shtml>

Will IE Patch Open New Holes? (Robert Vamosi, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-920114.html>

Dot-Kids Heads A Mess Of Regs (Declan McCullagh, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,52709,00.html>
Politicians are scrambling to debate a raft of technology regulations, ranging from domain names and privacy to broadband, spam, and funding for security research.

Can We Trust Microsoft On Web Services? I Don't (David Berlind, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2866753,00.html>
Surely, Microsoft must understand that no one is going to want to do business with a company that has one story when it's under oath, and another when it's not.

=== wintel news =============

[...]

Microsoft Ships Tools For Migrating From Unix To Windows (Matt Berger, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/05/21/020521hnwinmigrate.xml>
Hoping to pluck from the bunch of enterprise customers who are replacing costly Unix systems with alternatives, Microsoft has updated its set of tools designed to give Unix users a hand in moving to its Windows operating system.

=== linux news =============

Torvalds: The Linux Evolution Continues (Ashlee Vance, InfoWorld)
<http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/05/21/020521hntorvalds.xml>
There have been plenty of bumps along the way, but Linus Torvalds thinks the evolution of his Linux operating system is going just fine.

=== reader : world =============

Soft On China (David Lague, Far Eastern Economic Review)
<http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0205_23/p016region.html>
Critics say that Beijing is succeeding in its efforts to influence the Hong Kong media.

Can George Bush Westernize Russia? (Anne Applebaum, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066053>
Will George Bush's optimistic overture to Vladimir Putin end differently?

Why Europe Doubts (Madeleine Albright, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53386-2002May21.html>
Not only do European leaders not like being told what to do but, more significantly, they are afraid the United States has stopped thinking of them as genuine partners.

=== reader : life =============

The Scientist Who Wrote Rings Around The Earth (Joel Achenbach, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47452-2002May20.html>
A brilliant scientist who can write beautifully is an unusual creature, almost an evolutionary impossibility.

Before Silicon Valley, There Was San Jose (Peter Hong, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-051902escape.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtravel%2Dmanual>
Seeking out history, Asian and otherwise, in California's oldest city.

Will American Go For mLife? (Steve Mollman, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/05/22/mmode/index.html>
AT&T is pushing Japanese-style wireless services in the U.S. But until cellphones are as fun to use in New York as they are in Tokyo, a jaded market is likely to keep yawning.

The Unsinkable Optimism Of Walter Lord (Ken Ringle, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52851-2002May21.html>
If Heaven exists, and there's justice in it, Walter Lord is finally aboard the Titanic.

How About Lunch, Dear? Bring Everyone (Nigella Lawson, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/22/dining/22NIGE.html>
It's not just that we feel more expansive at this time of year (though there is that) but that we fool ourselves, too -- we allow ourselves to make the familiar mistaken assumption that easy-eating early summer food is easily cooked, that a relaxed afternoon in the garden means an equally relaxed morning in the kitchen.

History Has Not Yet Begun (Frank Furedi, Spiked Online)
<http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006D8EE.htm>
Is this really the end of history? A growing consensus suggests that we are at the end of something.

=== reader : expressions =============

Elegy (Elise Partridge, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2065744>
(The carpenter found, behind their bed,<br>
a crawl-space where black snakes had bred.)

=== singapore news =============

It's A Papaya, It's A Durian, No, It's The Esplanade (Arthur Sim, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/life/story/0,1870,121317,00.html?>
He won't take all the credit as the overall project architect of The Esplanade, but Vikas Gore, who's been working on it for eight years, says he's ready for criticism.

Health Minister Explains 'Regret' Comment (Judith Tan, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/8705/1/.html>
Health Minister Lim Hng Kiang explained he was not being unsympathetic when he commented in Parliament that he regretted making the decision for KK Women's and Children's Hospital to admit a premature baby in August 2000.

Water Reclamation, Marina Reservoir, Desalination To Increase Water Supply (Lee Siew Hoon, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/8701/1/.html>
Environment Minister Lim Swee Say said the government would develop water reclamation into a major new source of water to quench the thirst of its growing population.

Make Sure It's Money Well Spent (Alfred Siew, Computer Times Singapore)
<http://computertimes.asiaone.com.sg/v2/opin01.shtml>
Developers must show results when using public funds.

---