[MyAppleMenu] May 21, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 21 21:05:02 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== news =============

Apple Allows Unregistered Users To View KBase (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14320>

Shapleigh's Laptops Sharpen Skills (Herb Perry, Portsmouth Herald)
<http://seacoastonline.com/news/05212002/news/5533.htm>
"I am very enthusiastic about the possibilities it has."

IGN Mac Launched (Sean Smith, Inside Mac News)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=5456>
Gaming web site IGN decided to wet its toes in the Mac world.

Macs Inspire Digital Media Mavens (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/education/k12/imagine/lincoln/>
"A parent recently asked me, 'what if my son ends up working someplace where Final Cut Pro isn't being used?' My resonse was 'you watch -- everyone will be using it soon.'"

New Mac News Site Launches (Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer)
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2002/05/21.12.shtml>
MacNews.com will be offering Mac and Tech news, as well as a look at tech gadgets.

Apple, AOL And Netscape Take On Microsoft (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17860.html>
Despite forging closer relationships with both Netscape and AOL, Apple must guard against damaging its relationship with Microsoft.

Apple Computer Executives Register To Sell Shares (Reuters)
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&ncid=581&e=9&u=/nm/20020521/tc_nm/tech_apple_insiders_dc_1>
Apple Computer Inc. executives have filed with securities regulators to sell about $25 million in stock so far this month, including a filing on Monday by the company's chief financial officer to sell stock worth more than $6 million, documents showed.

The Sims: Hot Date - Heats Up Your Mac (Brad Cook, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/games/articles/2002/05/hotdate/>
When is a videogame no longer simply a game but a phenomenon?

Movie-Star Mac Battles The Bad Guys Of Wintel (David Frith, The Barrow)
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,4341739%5E15397%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
Today's movie heroes and heroines tend to use Apple Macs. The baddies hack away at Windows PCs.

=== opinions =============

Apple's Xserve: Do Servers Need GUIs? (David Morgenstern, ZDNet)
<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2866486,00.html>
A number of you raised a red flag over the Xserve's use of the Aqua interface. It was considered an unncessary distraction rather than a help.

Apple Gooses iBook Speeds (Arik Hesseldahl, Forbes)
<http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/21/0521tentech.html>
Given Apple's recent updates to all its product lines, it certainly has something truly noteworthy up its sleeve for July that is not necessarily a new computer per se, but something else.

Has BSD Unix Passed Up Linux? (Eric Foster-Johnson, Computer User)
<http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2105,4,43,1,0501,02.html>
Users tried of fighting their hardware may well flock to Mac OS X systems, with their ease of integration, desktop applications, including Microsoft Office, friendly interface, and absolutely beautiful hardware.

Tempting New iBooks? (Eric Schwarz, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/pom/02/0521.html>
The AV cable is a much nicer solution than that dongle Apple has for the new iBooks.

eZistance Is Futile (Doc Searls)
<http://doc.weblogs.com/2002/05/20#ezistanceIsFutile>
The energy coming off Apple right now is very strong and positive. People there are having fun. Thye're competitive, but not combative.

What's At E3 For Mac Users (MacSlash)
<http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/20/2212243>

=== reviews =============

Why I Stopped Using iPhoto (Mac Net Journal)
<http://www.whiterabbits.com/MacNetJournal/2002/05/21.html#a1353>
iPhoto just doesn't offer as many pluses as minuses for this photographer.

Apple's Tweaked TiBook Unleashes More Beauty -- And The Beast Within (Chuck La Tournous, RandomMaccess)
<http://www.randommaccess.com/newspro/articles/1022007565.shtml>
While the new TiBook hasn't eliminiated my need to have two computers in my office, it may very well change which one I consider my primary machine.

Final Draft 6 (Adrienne Robillard, Macworld)
<http://www.macworld.com/2002/06/reviews/finaldraft.html>
Final Draft delivers timesaving tools for scriptwriting and no major drawbacks.

=== internet top news =============

Time To Blog On (Ben Hammersley, The Guardian)
<http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,718517,00.html>
Dan Gillmor of the San Jose Mercury News puts it in a nutshell: "This is my guiding principle in journalism. My readers now more than I do, and that's great!"

=== internet news =============

Google Ushers Web Surfers Into Its Labs (Paul Festa, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-919173.html>
On Tuesday, the company is launching two sites for experimental search and browsing technologies.

No Express Checkout (Verne Kopytoff, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/05/20/BU50900.DTL>
Grocery shopping online provides some convenience without time savings.

MSN Fishing For Disgruntled AOL Users (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-918492.html>
Microsoft will use an application called TrueSwitch as the main weapon in what it considers its most aggressive attempt to date to close ground between AOL and its own MSN service.

=== wintel news =============

MS Licensing: Pay Now Or Pay More Later (Joe Wilcox, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-919128.html>
Market researcher Gartner on Tuesday again warned corporate technology managers that they could pay more for their next Microsoft software upgrades if they fail to sign up for a controversial licensing plan before a July 31 deadline.

Apple, AOL And Netscape Take On Microsoft (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/17860.html>
Despite forging closer relationships with both Netscape and AOL, Apple must guard against damaging its relationship with Microsoft.

Microsoft Digs Own Grave Of Mistrust (David Berlind, ZDNet)
<http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2866688,00.html>

MS Goes For Control, Disneyesque Experience For Xbox Live (John Lettice, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/25367.html>
Do kids want wholesome? The Beast blunders...

MSN Fishing For Disgruntled AOL Users (Jim Hu, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1023-918492.html>
Microsoft will use an application called TrueSwitch as the main weapon in what it considers its most aggressive attempt to date to close ground between AOL and its own MSN service.

=== reader : world =============

We Are The World (Bill Saporito, Time)
<http://www.time.com/time/sampler/article/0,8599,238659,00.html>
In this time of turmoil, one sport brings us all together. The Cup is here.

Bum Rap (William Saletan, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066033>
Bush should have anticipated Sept. 11? Easy for you to say.

The Cops Are Watching You (Robert Dreyfuss, The Nation)
<http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020603&s=dreyfuss>
Police departments are creating, rebuilding or strengthening intelligence units and antiterrorism squads. Ironically, all this is occurring in the complete absence of any actual terrorist activity.

Spying At Home (Fareed Zakaria, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47971-2002May20.html>
No one at the FBI had the job of strategic analysis -- i.e., of connecting the dots.

=== reader : tech =============

The Founders' Copyright (Richard Koman, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1425>
This case is the best hope, perhaps the last best hope, for putting the brakes on the perpetual extension of copyright.

=== reader : life =============

Seclusion Has Left Lucas Out Of Touch (Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Movies-X!ArticleDetail-59894,00.html>
To be blunt, "Star Wars" doesn't need Lucas behind the camera any more than the James Bond series needed original 007 director Terence Young to survive.

When Le Film Hits Le Fan (Stephen Hunter, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42842-2002May19.html>
In Cannes, days sand, smoke and serious cinema.

Want To Be A Male Model? Wear A Real Face (Ginia Bellafante, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/21/fashion/21DRES.html?8hpib>
The cultural viability of the male model was born in the late 1970's and early 80's, and it is safe to assert that it has diminished to the point of near evaporation.

One Rail Trip, Many Sides Of Norway (Bruce Bawer, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/19/travel/NORTRAIN.html>
The train from Oslo to Bergen rolls up and down snowy mountains and into a colorful port city.

You Read Your Books And I'll Read Mine (Judith Shulevitz, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/19/books/review/19SHULEVT.html>
Literature takes root in a rich and stubborn particularity, not in some powdery notion of communal uplift.

=== reader : expressions =============

Absolute Knowledge (Ian Randall Wilson, AugustCutter.com)
<http://www.augustcutter.com/02spring/knowledge/knowledge01.htm>
Hegel was wrong, Max said to his mother, to his sister, to his track coach, to his literature Professor Salomon, to his girlfriend Julie, to anyone from a dwindling circle of those who would still listen. He didn't stop there. Art wasn't dead, he told Julie. Art flourished, it was Hegel who was gone. Religion wasn't the answer.

=== singapore top news =============

$209,000 Bill For Premature Baby (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,121168,00.html?>
"If you have problems with your pregnancy, come to KKH early."

=== singapore news =============

Singaporeans Must Change Attitude Towards Streaming System: Education Minister (Hwee Goh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/8590/1/.html>
The alternative -- mixed ability classes -- with teaching targeted at the average was worse.

Settle CPF Issue Quickly, MTUC Tells Singapore (The Star)
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2002/5/21/nation/lncpf&sec=nation>
Its president Zainal Rampak urged the Government to pursue the matter with its Singapore counterpart and resolve the issue amicably.

---