[MyAppleMenu] Jun 4, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 4 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== news =============

Now You Pay For Drivers - UMAX Pioneers New Price Gouge (Andrew Orlowski, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/25548.html>
PC users expecting to get XP drivers, and Macintosh users expecting to get upgrades to Mac OS X had a shock in store.

Apple Sees Promise In RP's Schools, Professionals (I.T. Matters)
<http://www.itmatters.com.ph/news/news_06042002e.html>
Apple Philippines, Inc. is bullish about expanding the Apple user market base in the country this year.

Recording Live Music For Late Night With Conan O'Brien (Stephanie Jorgl, Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/06/julieperez/>
"TV mixing is all about getting it done fast."

ComputerTown Closes Doors 'For Foreseeable Future' (Peter Cohen, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/03.computertown.php>
"This comes after a failed attempt to stay in business including working through with several issues with our most valuable vendor partners, including Apple Computer."

=== opinions =============

Mission: Impossible. Submitting A Bug Report To Microsoft (Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1502>
I figure it's time to submit a bug report to Microsoft. Seems kinda painless and easy, right?

=== wintel top news =============

Microsoft Settles Accounting Probe (Reuters)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-930717.html>
Microsoft agreed to stop using an accounting practice that allegedly understated revenue and misled investors, the Securities and Exchange Commission said Monday.

=== wintel news =============

New Sony PCs Focus On Digital Media (Joe Wilcox, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1001-930802.html?tag=cd_mh>
Sony served up 11 new Vaio PCs on Monday, expanding its focus on DVD recording and digital media.

Mission: Impossible. Submitting A Bug Report To Microsoft (Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1502>
I figure it's time to submit a bug report to Microsoft. Seems kinda painless and easy, right?

=== singapore top news =============

Is SIA Planning An Aussie Airline? (Rebecca Lee, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/money/story/0,1870,123783,00.html?>
Global airline group Star Alliance is looking to back one of its members to launch a third domestic carrier in Australia - with member Singapore Airlines (SIA) tipped to be a front-runner.

=== singapore news =============

$388-m Payout: What Next, IDA? (Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,1870,123772,00.html?>
In their pursuit of the PS21 goal for a high-quality public service, public servants should not hide behind their mistakes.

Slim 10 Victims Can Sue (Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/singapore/story/0,1870,123838,00.html?>
Lawyers say those who developed health problems from drug could take importer, manufacturer or distributor to court.

---