[MyAppleMenu] Jun 3, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 3 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Microsoft Polishes Office For Apple (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-930299.html>
Service Release 1 for Office v. X is a free download that offers more than 1,000 tweaks, bug fixes and performance enhancements. Among the more noticeable changes are improvements to the way text appears on the screen and tweaks that let Office communicate with the server version of FileMaker database software.

=== news =============

QuickTime 6 Could Kill RealNetworks On The Mac (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/18019.html>
Despite repeated complaints and urging from customers, RealNetworks has remained tight-lipped regarding its plans for a Mac OS X version of its RealOne player.

Portable Showdown: Notebook PCs Vs. Apple's iBook/PowerBook (Elizabeth Millard, NewsFactor)
<http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/18022.html>
Although the jazzed-up iBook is finding consumer success, Apple may have to work a little harder to convince its non-multimedia business audience to buy the pricier PowerBook.

=== opinions =============

Putting His Camcorder Where His Mouth Is (Roy Furchgott, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40482-2002May31.html>
I felt I had really accomplished my goal when at the end of the video one friend asked, "Can I see it again?"

Learning From The MacSlash Fiasco (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/02/0603.html>
In the end, the best protection is keeping your domain registered. Don't let it expire.

Wireless: Killer App Without Being An App (Steve Mallett, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1481>
Not only can being wireless free me from cable bondage, but it can free me from applicaiton bondage.

=== reviews =============

Apple And IBM Unleash New Laptops (Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Pioneer Press)
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/business/technology/3387264.htm>
Those with bucks and a distaste for ThinkPad-like conventionality will see the Apple portable as a sweet, sweet system. We certainly do.

Tiny Camera Delivers Big Performance (James Coates, Chicago Tribune)
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/printedition/chi-0206020330jun02.story?coll=chi%2Dprintbusiness%2Dhed>
In an age when technology keeps getting smaller and more portable, Kodak's newest digital camera delivers big time in both departments.

=== internet top news =============

Sure, Security Is Hard, But... (Marc Hedlund, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1482>
How hard would it have been for the New York Times to send random passwords to its premium users rather than easily guessable passwords?

=== internet news =============

Napster Files For Bankruptcy (Reuters)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-930462.html>

Learning From The MacSlash Fiasco (Dan Knight, Low End Mac)
<http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/02/0603.html>
In the end, the best protection is keeping your domain registered. Don't let it expire.

Dot-Coms' Bust Is A Boon To Classrooms (Jenifer Ragland, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-000039088jun03.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dtechnology>
Laid-off tech employees are rejoining work force as public school teachers.

Hypocrites Have  APoint On Broadband (Dan Gillmor, San Jose Mercury News)
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3386993.htm>
There are all kinds of sound reasons to push broadband. Advocates tend to focus on fuzzy notions of goodness, saying that we won't know the best uses of high-speed connections until they're in place and entrepreneurs, entertainers, educators and everyone else figures out what to do with them.

Nissan Vs. Nissan (Andrew Leonard, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/col/leon/2002/06/03/nissan/index.html>
Is a North Carolina businessman a cybersquatter unfairly pirating the car maker's brand name, or something even worse: A spammer of journalists?

Wireless: Killer App Without Being An App (Steve Mallett, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1481>
Not only can being wireless free me from cable bondage, but it can free me from applicaiton bondage.

=== wintel top news =============

Industry Allies Seek To Limit Microsoft Drive Into New Fields (Steve Lohr and John Markoff, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/03/technology/03SOFT.html?ex=1023681600&en=689d0fda291a418a&ei=5040&partner=MOREOVER>
Microsoft, in its drive to conquer new markets beyond personal computer software, has consistently run into resistance from companies and industries working to insure there is a competitive alternative to Microsoft.

Shutting Down My Windows Domain Server (Simon St Laurent, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1493>
The "everything on one server, with centralized authentication" approach may have been appealing to me a few years ago, but now I'm much happier with a loosely-connected set of specialized devices.

=== wintel news =============

Microsoft Polishes Office For Apple (Ian Fried, CNET News.com)
<http://news.com.com/2100-1040-930299.html>
Service Release 1 for Office v. X is a free download that offers more than 1,000 tweaks, bug fixes and performance enhancements. Among the more noticeable changes are improvements to the way text appears on the screen and tweaks that let Office communicate with the server version of FileMaker database software.

=== reader : world =============

What Really Happened At No Gun Ri? (Judith Greer, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/06/03/nogunri/index.html>
An Army major says the Associated Press' Pulitzer-winning story of American soldiers massacring Korean civilians is grossly exaggerated and dishonest.

=== reader : tech =============

Nissan Vs. Nissan (Andrew Leonard, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/col/leon/2002/06/03/nissan/index.html>
Is a North Carolina businessman a cybersquatter unfairly pirating the car maker's brand name, or something even worse: A spammer of journalists?

Giving Your Television A Brain (Daniel Greenberg, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43235-2002Jun1.html>
I haven't met any people who love their VCR, but I know quite a few who express an inappropriate amount of affection for the TiVo box they bought to replace it.

=== reader : life =============

The Elderly Man And The Sea? Test Sanitizes Literary Texts (N. R. Kleinfield, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/02/education/02REGE.html>
Ms Heifetz inspected 10 high school English exams from the past three years and discovered that the vast majority of the passages -- drawn from the works of Isaac Bashevis Singer, Anton Chekhov and William Maxwell, among others -- had been sanitized of virtually any reference to race, religion, ethnicity, sex, nudity, alcohol, even the mildest profanity and just about anything that might offend someone for some reason.

Turf War (James Surowiecki, New Yorker)
<http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/?020610ta_talk_surowiecki>
What you've got here is a novice company running up against one of the msot competitive and technologically demanding industries in America.

Quebec's Quiet Isles (Margo Pfeiff, San Francisco Chronicle)
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2002/06/02/TR24303.DTL>
In the remote Magdalens, settled by castaways, wild isolation is tempered by comfortable inns, art and execptional food.

Nothing To Wear (Laura Sessions Stepp, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A49021-2002Jun2.html>
>From the classroom to the mall, girls' fashions are long on skin, short on modesty.

The Spray, The Leap, The Splash Of Waterfalls (W. D. Wetherell, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/02/travel/FALLS.html>
The White Mountains of New Hampshire are blessed with their share of waterfalls, or "cascades" as they were called in the 1800's , when the first mountain tourists, very much under the influence of Wordsworth and the Romantics, tramped from sight to sight in eager search for the "sublime."

A Phantom Menance? (Richard Fausset, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Movies-X!ArticleDetail-61369,00.html>
Mike J. Nicholas' unauthorized reedit of "Star Wars: Episode I" burns up the Internet, demonstrating technology's new capabilities. The film empire is watching.

=== singapore news =============

Singapore ejects Industry Plea To Drop 3G Deadline (Business Times Singapore)
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,2276,47116,00.html?>
An appeal by Singapore telecoms operators to axe the deadline for the launch of 3G networks has been rejected, the Infocomm Development Authorkity said today.

SPH MediaWorks-NTUC Media Radio Station Fined $15,000 By SBA (Hwee Goh, Channel NewsAsia)
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/9644/1/.html>
THe Singapore Broadcasting Authority (SBA) fined UnionWorks for injecting personal remarks into its news bulletins.

---