[MyAppleMenu] Jun 13, 2002

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 13 21:05:01 EDT 2002

myapplemenu : newsletter

=== top =============

Macs Better Value Than PCs - Official (Macworld UK)
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4795>
New research explodes the myth that Mac are more expensive than PCs to buy and run.

Apple Design Award Goes To Student Developer (Apple)
<http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2002/06/ada/>
"I'm a big fan of Project Builder. I like the rapid development aspects, the ability to drag and drop and create the interface visually, the very logical and clean order of development."

=== news =============

Apple's Xserve To Face Tough Sell (Ken Popovich, eWEEK)
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=701&a=28086,00.asp>
Apple deserves credit for developing a well-designed high-performance rack server on a stable Unix operating platform, analysts said, but they hold out little hope that the company can finally attract mainstream corporate customers.

Mac Upgrade Cards Hit 1 GHz Mark (Ben Wilson, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/18215.html>
Sonnet Technologies told NewsFactor it will make some announcements regarding faster PowerPC G4 upgrades at the Macworld Expo.

Apple Makes Up For Missing Adaptors (Ian Fried, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2110-1103-935704.html>
Apple is alerting recent PowerBook purchasers that their computers may not have come with a video adaptor that enables the laptop to connect to the composite connector on a television, VCR, or video projector.

Apple Welcomes Authors To Various Apple Stores (Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral)
<http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0206/13.stores.php>
Beginning next week, Apple will be hosting sessions in several of their retail locations with various authors.

Apple Acquires Silicon Grail Technologies (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14689>

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 11 Coming To Mac (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14688>

Grand Opening For Apple Store Short Hills (MacNN)
<http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=14673>

Warcraft III Goes Gold! (Daniel Bogan, Inside Mac Games)
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=5611>

Accounting For Apple's New Respect (Elizabeth Millard, NewsFactor)
<http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/18204.html>
The most compelling number for IT departments could be the Xserve's price tag.

Bill/Steve's Sexcellent Adventure (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,53071,00.html>
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have had a long and occasionally testy business relationship. But in the homoerotic imaginings of one writer, they've also enjoyed a series of sexcellent adventures.

=== opinions =============

Who Wouldn't Love To Have An iPod? (John Manzione, MacNETv2)
<http://www.macnet2.com/index.php?itemid=162>
Owing an iPod makes you want to send a "Thank you" card to Steve Jobs.

How Our OS X Rollout Was Hamstrung (Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1579>
We're dying to make the switch, but can't. What's good enough for the geeks is not necessarily good enough for the gander.

=== reviews =============

Beware Of Progressive Scans When Importing Into iPhoto (Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1581>
I'm sure someday iPhoto will import just about anything. But for the moment, keep an eye on the fomats you use.

DVI To ADC Monitor Adapters (Kirk Hiner, Applelinks.com)
<http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/adcadapters.shtml>

Photoshop 7.0 (Alan Zisman, Low End Mac)
<http://lowendmac.com/reviews/photoshop7.html>
Photoshop 7.0 offers enough new and powerful features to keep the Photoshop jockeys happy.

=== internet news =============

File Sharing: Innocent Until Proven Guilty (Damien Cave, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/06/13/liebowitz/index.html>
An economist says music privacy should be hurting the recording industry, but it isn't -- and he doesn't know why.

The Search-Engine Getaway (James Gorman, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/13/technology/circuits/13OUTS.html>
For every day I spend outside, I probably spend two days searching for places to go and things I want to see.

=== wintel top news =============

Judge Declines To Drop Microsoft Charges (Jonathan Krim, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41492-2002Jun12.html>
A federal judge yesterday refused to dismiss the Microsoft antitrust case, handling a victory to state prosecutors seeking stiffer sanctions on the company than it agreed to in a settlement with the Justice Department.

=== wintel news =============

Gates Sold $400 Million In Microsoft Shares (Reuters)
<http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-tech-microsoft-gates.html>
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, who usually sells some of his holdings in the world's biggest software company for diversification, sold more than $400 million worth since early June and plans to sell millions more.

Why Microsoft's Xbox Ad Is So Bad (David Coursey, ZDNet)
<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-935568.html>
The commercial's subtle-as-a-freight-train message may be very Seattle, but it's not very Microsoft.

Intel Cranks Up Celeron To 1.8GHz (Drew Cullen, The Register)
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/25709.html>
Intel today released a 1.8GHz version of the Celeron, the fastest clock speed to date in its cheapo deskop processor line.

Behind Linux's Struggle In Gov't (Declan McCullagh and Robert Zarate, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,53006,00.html>
It's free, it's becoming more secure, and it's even the dirty little secret among some computer geeks who work in the U.S. government. Then why isn't Linux more prevalent? One word: Microsoft. Another: Oracle.

Bill/Steve's Sexcellent Adventure (Leander Kahney, Wired News)
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,53071,00.html>
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have had a long and occasionally testy business relationship. But in the homoerotic imaginings of one writer, they've also enjoyed a series of sexcellent adventures.

Microsoft Discloses Software Flaw (Ted Bridis, Associated Press)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40892-2002Jun12.html>
Microsoft acknowledged a serious flaw Wednesday in its Internet server software that could allow sophisticated hackers to seize control of Web sites, steal information and use vulnerable computers to attack others online.

=== linux top news =============

=== reader : tech =============

File Sharing: Innocent Until Proven Guilty (Damien Cave, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/06/13/liebowitz/index.html>
An economist says music privacy should be hurting the recording industry, but it isn't -- and he doesn't know why.

=== reader : life =============

Not Going By The Book (Jeannie Stein, Los Angeles Times)
<http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-061302yearbook.story>
Stemps, art papers and other handmade details transform the staid yearbook at a Santa Monica school.

Sacre Bleu! Dios Mio! It's The Bizarro World Cup! (Andrew O'Hehir, Salon)
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2002/06/12/world_cup/index.html>
Fracne fades into Sartrean nothingness, Argentina dances the tango of despair and the United States and Japan, titans of world baseball -- sorry, I mean <i>soccer</i> -- rise up.

Neglecting The Baby (Michael Lewis, Slate)
<http://slate.msn.com/?id=2066863>
The first rule of fatherhood is that if you don't see what the problem is, you are the problem.

Step By Step, A New Dad Joins The Family (Charissa Wells, Washington Post)
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41722-2002Jun12.html>
Since 1993, Father's Day has taken on new meaning for me. Now I think not only of fathers, but of many stepfathers who deserve pats on the back for moving into an important and difficult role they inherited when they fell in love with a single mother.

Young Readers, Harsh Reality (Martin Arnold, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/13/books/13BOOK.html>
Responding to criticism that books with disturbing subject matter are being aimed at young adults, publishers say that what they are doing is ennobling and educating.

If That Big Mac Leaves A Little Hole (Adam Nagourney, New York Times)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/12/dining/12MCDO.html>
In a city that has always appreciated its doughnuts, the emergence of a new place to buy fresh-made ones hardly seems surprising. But these are McDonuts.

=== singapore top news =============

Choosy Older Workers Quit New Jobs (Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times)
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/primenews/story/0,1870,125897,00.html?>
Of the 2,000-odd jobless who found work through government scheme launched last July, a third had resigned within six months.

---