[R129 SL] R129LIST Digest Oil Pressure

Fred waybomb at i2k.com
Sun Jul 17 12:18:18 EDT 2011

Rich - Probably the oil pressure sending unit.

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 10:09:34 EDT
From: Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Subject: [R129 SL] Oil pressure question
To: r129list at mbcoupes.com

My ;92 500SL exhibits a strange thing. When the outside temperature is
very high and engine coolant temp approaches 100C., the oil pressure drops
to very nearly zero at idle. When engine RPM's are increased, the pressure
immediately increases to an acceptable level (between 2-3 atm). The car
has less than 61,000 miles, has always been properly maintained, and I
change oil at 3000 mile intervals. I use Valvoline 10W-30W and change oil
and
filter at 3000 mile intervals. I find it hard to believe this is normal-

does anyone have ideas what's going on?
Rich Splaine