[R129 SL] R129 electrical problems

chris wadlow wadlowchris at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 05:46:51 EDT 2010

Hi,

My 1990 500SL has been performing well al summer but on a recent rare sunny day I went to get it out of the garage and was faced with a number of seemingly unconnected electrical faults. I don't believe they could be unconnected so can any one help ?

I switched on the ignition and a quiet beeping alarm started. I have never heard this before so I continued and started the engine and the alarm stopped. I then found that the direction indicators would not work although the emergency flashers worked fine. Further testing of systems revealed that the soft top , the roll bar and the electric windows had also stopped working although the windows did go up and down if the door was open (interior lights on). I have checked the fuses with little hope that this could be the cause as the systems which are not working don't share one fuse.

I am at a bit of a loss to know where to try next so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Chris Wadlow.