[R129 SL] Can not downshift at speed

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Sun May 3 09:34:36 EDT 2009

Hello all, I have noticed that my 1996 SL500 refuses to downshift at any
speed and I wonder if there is a way to diagnose this problem and fix it
without spending many dollars at the MB shop. The transmission up shifts
very well and I recently changed the transmission fluid and filter so I
think the problem is not inside the transmission. This transmission is
electronically controlled (I am told) so I wonder also if there is a
computer setting which can cause this problem. Thank you to anyone who can
help.

Happy motoring to all, George in North Carolina