[R129 SL] Soft top slows down

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Sun Mar 8 14:34:16 EDT 2009

I told it many times. If there is a issue with the soft-top, take the
spare wheel out of the trunk, look underneath the cover where the
hydraulic motor and liquid reservoir is. Let the top come up and when it
becomes slow or stopped, look if you can see any hydraulic oil in the
reservoir. If it is empty, you have two chances. First fill up with
original hydraulic oil from your MB dealer and if it then works OK, look
how long it last.
The reason from missing oil is leakage in the hydraulic lines or
cylinders, and if the leakage is great, the oil flows out and the
pressure drops so the movement becomes slow.
But if there is only less leakage there is no problem, otherwise you
should find the leak and repair.

Then there is the possibility that the piston in main cylinder leaks, so
there is not enough pressure. Or more pistons in the system leaks and
must be revised, what can with reasonable costs.
And off course there can be air in the system, if there was to less oil.