[R129 SL] sl500 proper tire pressure

Peter S joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jul 15 17:03:49 EDT 2009

Hi Rob, Robert, Jonathan and Marcus,
Tyre pressures! We could all spend weeks or even years on cars and vehicle
tyre pressures. The pressures are dependent upon tyres, vehicle weight,
vehicle weight distribution, how much stuff we manage to fit in, number of
passengers carried, and where all this is carried, required handling, road
construction, road conditions, road 'banking', vehicle steering engineering,
fuel economy etc etc. All good engineering stuff!

We presently have some 7 cars and 4 motorcycles/ scooters (including a
Piaggio MP3!). Like many car/ motorcycle enthusiasts, I have possibly
owned some 100+ vehicles in my lifetime (so far) and driven a lot more
vehicles in NZ and other countries. In winter, I tend to run the cars/
motorcycles at 32 psi - yes all of them (front and rear), to give a bit of
grip on the roads just in case. In Autumn (fall), Summer and Spring, all
the vehicles are pumped up to 36 psi. Sorry about the psi bit, but in New
Zealand we are meant to use kilopascals for the last 30 years - our
beautiful country uses all metric parameters, but we still tend to use psi
as the US uses psi!

I run a variety of tyres from Pirelli PZ0, through Bridgestone Potenzas (my
overall favourite tyres) and currently Kumho's on the R129 ( believe it or
not my second best favourite brand). I also have continentals, Firestone
Firehawks and Michelins on the cars. In NZ we seem to be fraught with a
variety of imported Asian tyres that I can hardly pronounce the names of!
Many tyres are the very dangerous mud and snow tyres that should be banned
in NZ - another story!

Our motorways here and very different from the freeways overseas. Our roads
generally use a rougher chip seal, and most of all of our corners are banked
to allow better handling/ cornering. Our secondary roads are narrow
sometimes, not too dissimilar from English country roads. We have quite a
few 'gravel' roads as well. Note that low profile tyres do not track too
well on gravel, so if I am back country roads for a long trip, I often
exchange my 18 inch Potenzas on the W123 with the traditional 123 Mag alloy
Merc wheels fitted with Bridgestone 205/65/15 tyres.

So in brief, being a simple bloke that is not capable of multi-tasking,
unlike our female counterparts, I put in 36 psi summer, autumn and spring
and 32 psi winter. Those horrible space savers in the Japanese vehicles
have to be run at about 70 psi though - short distances only.

Cold in NZ at present as it is our winter - about 4 degrees C here today.
Acquired a chill 3 weeks ago and have had a dowse of influenza (not the
swine type!) - main possible cause - driving the R129 with the top down,
outside temp at about 2 degrees, and not having enough gear on! We have our
National Mercedes Benz AGM in Picton (top of the North Island) next week so
will have to get my woollies out as we will be in the R129 with the top down
heading across on the ferry. The greater Picton area has about 150 wineries
within a 100 km radius, so I wonder what else we will be doing......

Have a great week.
Regards, Peter S.