[R129 SL] Overheating

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Tue Jul 14 20:50:10 EDT 2009

I think there is a misunderstanding. The R129 500 engine is a hot motor.
Normally a car will work best at 80 degrees Celsius, but the design of
this motor is so it will work at best at 100 degrees Celsius. So on 90
degrees there is nothing wrong. The fan should go running about 100
degrees and let the engine cool of on that temperature. Only higher
temperature above 100-110 degrees will cause trouble.
My car is normal to have it in 15 minutes to go to 90 degrees, and when
I stock in traffic jam with outside temperature from about 30 degrees,
like this afternoon, the temperature rises within a minute to 100
degrees and the fans are started to work. Then the temperature stays
steady and when I can drive harder and the wind blows true the radiator
the temp drops to 90-95 degrees.
So if everything is working well, 100 degrees is no problem. In the
beginning I also was afraid it was wrong, but they explained me that it
is normal and that the cooling fluid in a closed circuit not is boiling
at 100 degrees, but at 120 degrees. It is the principle of the fast boil
dinner pan. But then it is wrong with the engine!!

Jan Flying Dutchman.