[R129 SL] Planning on buying an SL500

Peter S joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 14 17:31:15 EST 2009

Hi George,
I am sure we have been through this before re the transmission fluid. Originally MB stated that the transmission fluid would never require changing in the R129 SL transmission. This was altered in about 1996 when MB issued a notice to service agents indicating that oil should be changed every 60,000 (not sure whether it was km or miles!). So you should change the transmission fluid at regular intervals (60,000) if you want the trans to last. I have just changed mine at 60,000km to be on the safe side (expensive oil !!!).

The notice by MB was issued after a few transmissions failed through water in the oil, and resulting corrosion in the transmission - the oil was found to be slightly hygroscopic. I have seen 2 x transmissions ex Japan and the trans oil was slightly milky and a slight brown colour. Both trans units required overhauling after the discovery.

Regards, Peter S, New Zealand.