[R129 SL] Planning on buying an SL500

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 09:50:06 EST 2009

Andrew, Ken Rockwell has a very comprehensive SL500 website for comparison
purposes. Go to http://www.kenrockwell.com/sl/

According to everything I have read and researched the best years for the
R129 vehicle are 1996, 1997 and 1998. I have had my 1996 SL500 for going on
4 years now and bought it from a dealer in Ft. Lauderdale, FL on ebay.
Aside from smaller fixes which I was able to do myself I have not had
anything major occur. The car is beautiful and I truly love driving it. I
changed the stock wheels to AMG 18" and have the low profile tires etc. I
also had the transmission fluid changed at a Mercedes shop because the car
was at 80K and the fluid had never been changed in the transmission. That
is one item you should be aware of in many R129 models. The transmission
has no dip stick for transmission fluid checking and MB initially claimed
that the fluid was not ever going to need changing but that was never a good
idea and I am happy I had that done.

I recommend you look seriously at the 1997 model year SL500 with the AMG
optional package installed.

Good Hunting, George

Database version: 5.11540