[R129 SL] New to me SL320 and a quick question

Rob Vonderhaar rob at robvonder.com
Wed Nov 12 14:32:49 EST 2008

Jody,
I had the same questions when I bought my '95 SL fourteen years ago. Everyone I talked with (dealers, Performance Products, etc.) confirmed that an R129 top should not be stored long-term on a hoist. As I recall, suspending it on a hoist allows the top to 'flex' a bit, and you end up with cracking paint and/or an ill-fitting top over time. This is apparently unique with the R129 top, because it was fine to store the earlier R107 tops on a hoist.

There are some very fancy (read: expen$ive) hoists where the top doesn't hang from straps during storage but actually sits on a rigid frame much like it does when it's on the car. (I think it's called a "Stor-Away"?) I assume these would probably be fine. Also, I know some people that used wood to build custom racks to either store the top on a rigid surface above the car, or to create their own version of a rolling storage cart.

Personally, I thought all that was a lot of hassle, especially since I've moved twice since buying the SL. So I went with the hand-crank "Fritzi Hoist" from Performance Products and also their rolling storage cart with cover (which has definitely been improved over the model they sold 14years ago). As Deneal says, it really takes very little floor space since it's stored vertically.

The hoist comes with tons of metal brackets, straps, bolts, etc. I skipped all that and simply attached the main pulley to the heavy steel brackets with holes that mount my garage door opener. These are lag-bolted into the ceiling joists, so they're very solid and the top isn't all that heavy. Screw a second pulley into a wall stud, lag-bolt the winch itself to a wall stud, and you're done. I've done this three times now - quick to install, easy to remove later, and leaves just three bolt holes in the drywall to patch.

With this setup, I've always removed and reinstalled the top by myself. For the latter, I spread an old blanket on the floor, roll the cart onto it, move the top from the cart to the blanket, and then hook on the straps. The only trick is placing the car so the rear pins of the top will drop almost directly into their matching holes on the car. Both winch and storage cart are highly recommended.

Rob Vonderhaar