[R129 SL] Ignition switch/key problem

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Sat Jun 14 15:36:53 EDT 2008

My '91 500SL has developed a serious problem. When I turn off the ignition
and try to remove the key I have trouble turning it to the extreme
counter--clockwise detent so the key can be removed Moving the steering wheel while
attempting to turn the key does not help, nor does using other keys (I have 3
keys for this car). After a lot of playing around with the key in the lock, I
am finally able to remove it. Likewise it is sometimes difficult to turn
the ignition switch clockwise to start the engine- it is sticky. A shot of
aerosol WD-40 injected into the lock did not help. Anyone had this problem and
found a fix? I'm afraid if I need to replace the ignition switch I may also
have to replace all the other locks as well resulting in a major expense.

2008. (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)