[R129 SL] very rough running

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 15 09:20:56 EDT 2008

I had the same thing happen to my 1996 SL500 earlier in the year. I was
driving in the local area when all of a sudden something broke and it began
running rough and the check engine light came on. I have a hand held
diagnostic device which plugs into the computer connector located under the
dash on the driver's side. (I think these things only work on 1996 and later
vehicles) but I discovered that my number one cylinder's coil (each cylinder
on the Benz has its own coil located at the top of the spark plug connector
and it was one of these that went south on my SL. I ordered a new coil from
a local shop and put it on myself at a minimal cost. The only way I would
have known which one it was without a lot of troubleshooting was because the
hand-held tester told me which cylinder was misfiring.

Another thing: Reminder to all SL owners - don't overlook the cabin air
filter when servicing your vehicle. It's surprising but this is one filter
that gets forgotten in the SL.

Happy motoring George Jenner

Database version: 5.10250e
http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor/