[R129 SL] Tires and alignment for SL

Paul Samarin pauls at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 15 13:49:16 EST 2008

Time for new shoes for the '90 500 SL; recommended size (and
currently on the car) is 225x55x16 all around.

What is the most current list wisdom as to:

1) tire size (I'm not considering new wheels or a staggered set-up at
this time); would slightly wider tires give any benefit?
2) tire rating; my aggressive driving days are behind me, so Z is
definitely ridiculous, but what's a good daily driver that can handle
"a little more"?
3) brand and model;
4) where to buy; I'll check tirerack.com and costco, of course; any
other suggestions?

Camber is wrong on rear: outside wearing excessively. So, I also
need a good alignment/suspension shop in So.Cal. (S/E LA County,
Orange County).

Thanks for any and all advice!

Paul Samarin
pauls at sbcglobal.net