[R129 SL] R129 Top operations

Deneal Schilmeister (iMac) deneals at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 19 15:09:41 EDT 2007

On 9/19/07 11:37 AM, "BJonesNY at aol.com" <BJonesNY at aol.com> wrote:

> o While Rusty is certainly the 'best and brightest' when it comes to buying

> MB parts, for these top cylinders (you referred to them as solenoids), any of

> the dozen or so hydraulic cylinders in the 129 tops can be rebuilt for $35@ +

> shipping. The rebuilder has done hundreds of these (mine as well) and

> provides a 3 yr. warranty. He strongly suggests as Deneal mentioned to

> rebuild these in 'pairs' as if 1 is going on one side, it's 'mate' is soon to

> follow. The rebuilder's contact info is

> Dennis Ficken

> 16285 S. Chester

> Olathe, Ks 66062

> (913) 390-0506

> mercedescylinders at sbcglobal.net

I was a little hasty with my prior note. I do intend to have Dennis rebuild
the old cylinders to keep as spares. My SL is my only car, so I did not
want the down time involved with having those cylinders rebuilt, and having
spares sounded attractive.

o Last, Deneal, if the torx screw was the problematic fastener you
had difficulty removing, try an extension on your ratchet for additional
leverage, and/or spray some PB Blaster.

Thank you, Bob. Unfortunately I bought a single Torx screwdriver. I have a
condition which makes me tire easily and my right side is weak (called
surviving a stroke). I think if I¹m well-rested (or can enlist my 18yo son
to help) I¹ll be able to get it. Actually, this is the first work I¹ve done
since my stroke seven years ago.

The problem made me wonder, however, if my car had had the left side
replaced once before, but not the right side. The right side looked
untouched, but the left side had evidence of blue loctite on the screws when
I removed them.

Deneal Schilmeister
MBCA Gateway 1991-2007
MBCA Cincinnati 2006-2008