[R129 SL] R129 Top operations

Deneal Schilmeister (Portege) deneals at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 19 12:01:30 EDT 2007

Thank you to all for your help in my top operation hydraulic leak.
Especially Bob Jones in Bradenton.

I bought two new solenoids from Rusty Cullens <http://buymbparts.com/> for
the front latches and replaced the port side latch. I was not strong enough
to unscrew the right side, which was not leaking, so I just skipped
replacing that one. Because it is recommended that the solenoids be
replaced in pairs, I will soon replace the right side when I feel a surge in
my strength.

The revealing item to me was replenishing the hydraulic fluid. A quart of
fluid cost $23 at the dealer. Making sure the hydraulic fluid level is
proper, and even replacing the fluid with new makes a tremendous difference
in smooth top operation.

Deneal Schilmeister

St. Louis - Cincinnati

1997 SL500