[R129 SL] automatic gear update soap 2

Peter S joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Sun Sep 2 01:45:23 EDT 2007

BerichtHi Jan,
I am an electrical, data, security and building services engineer. I have a number of acquaintances who are expert chemists ( they analyse stuff we find in buildings - I test PCB's) so I can find out most things about chemical reactions and agents if required.

It sounds as though the mechanic tipped a lot of oil in the heat shield when the gearbox was removed, if the reconditioned gearbox was not leaking oil. I would remove the heat shield (if it is easily possible), and the 'asbestos' wrap (most likely 'rockwool' - but check), and find out how the oil found it's way in there! Talk to the mechanic as well. The insulation will most likely need to be replaced as it is very difficult to remove oil from absorbent 'rockwool' insulation products - it seems to stay there forever and it smokes/ smells for an eternity.

If you need any chemical stuff looked at, let me know and I will call my 'boffin chemistry associate - Len' and he will be able to sort something out.

First day of spring in about a 8 days so we are getting a bit warmer at the moment - I have this wretched influenza virus, and to top it off, my PC was infected with a Trojan cluster virus in the system 32 files (we both have the virus!) I managed to contain the PC virus and killed about 10 of the clusters, but it took 5 days to clear the system of the rest. I should have wiped the C drive and re-loaded windows XP as it would have been quicker, and I have my data backed up. Look out for this virus, as I understand that Norton and AVG do not have patches as yet (have both on my PC) but understand that nod32 antivirus has a patch.

Have a great day, and hope the car problem can be resolved.

Kind Regards, Peter S.