[R129 SL] Noisy Top Release

Victor R. Lopez vrlopez254 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 01:08:20 EDT 2007

Nature of the beast. I coat the arms that extend into the body and the top clamps along the windshield with a light (VERY LIGHT) coating of synthic grease before I place the top on for the short winter months out here in California. Maybe someone else might have a better idea but as long as the top is going down and coming up even it should be ok.

Flodur2 at aol.com wrote:
Hello,

What are owner's observations when the hardtop is being removed; is it really noisy? The first time I did the automatic top release on my recently acquired SL500, I thought I had broken something as the latches unlocked the top. There were loud thumps. Everything seemed to work fine and the top unlocked properly and rose up uniformly but the "pops" were unnerving. Is this normal? Is some lubrication required? What are owner's experiences? The manual is quiet on this aspect.

Thanks, Rudy
2002 SL500