[R129 SL] power steering

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Thu Mar 22 15:37:47 EDT 2007

Hello Folks.

I have a strange question. As long as I have my 500SL, regularly it happens
that my steering wheel suddenly gets a couple of mm space. I must then steer
alternating left or Right. If I stop and check if there is space on the
wheels or on the wheel house, I am not notifying any abnormal space. So It
is not dangerous, but unpleasant. I drive that way for four years. After the
engine has turned off, and started again, there's no trouble anymore. The
steer lies nicely tight in the hand and the car sends as a knife in butter.
Then some days or weeks later it is back again for some ours.
However, I have a small leakage along of piping. In a couple of months it
empties my tank half .But that cannot be the reason, it nevertheless be,
because then it always must give space. Nevertheless, I want to let the
leakage rapidly repair . Does someone have an idea where this phenomenon
comes from?
Replace a hydraulic steering house without knowing if it is the reason is
also expensive.
greeting from the flying Dutchman 500 SL