[R129 SL] Hydraulic Cylinders

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 11:03:06 EDT 2007

Hello to all list members. I'm new to the list and recently bought a '92
500SL. Seller was honest and and pointed out prior to sale that all but one of
the hydraulic cylinders that operate the convertible top had been replaced.
You guessed it, now that one remaining original cylinder is leaking and must
be replaced. I've found a source for rebuilt cylinders at a good price, but
need some help with the actual replacement job (planning to do it myself).
Is the repair manual for the R129 posted on the web? Failing that, can
someone walk me thru the procedure? Also- being a closed hydraulic system, I
assume it must be bled to remove air after replacing the cylinder- need to know
how to do that, and also what type of fluid to use and where the filler tube
is. Thanks in advance for any input.
Rich Splaine