[R129 SL] [Fwd: TOP PROBLEM]

Paul Samarin pauls at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 20 11:37:01 EDT 2007

The *quite expensive* control box for the whole top mechanism is
located beneath the storage compartment behind the pass seat. It's
very easy to get to: remove the inside bottom of that compartment and
there it is. What the heck you do at that point is a mystery, though.
Obviously, if you could find a good used one and replace it...but,
short of that:

I don't know whether my "immaculate correction" will work for you, but
it's free. Operate the switch until the movement stops, then manually
make the "next move," then go back and operate the switch again 'til it
stops again, and then manually perform the "next move." What's the next
move? It's trial and error I think. So, in your example:

Is the rear: A) moving down to the deck and then just not latching or
is it: B) not moving down to the deck.

If B, then grab it and pull it down to where it should latch, then go
back to operating the switch and see if it grabs it; if it does not, or
if the problem is A, above, then:

Your owner's manual (somewhere near the back, mine's now been stolen so
I can't look it up, but I don't think it was listed in the Index) you
will find a procedure for manually latching both the windshield part
and the rear deck part. There is a special tool in the tool kit (also
now stolen from me!) just for this purpose. It's not immediately
obvious, but I did figure it out w/o help, so give it a shot,
patiently. The rear part is operated from inside the trunk. The
actual latch is hidden inside where the trunk hinges disappear. Once
you figure-out what to do, it's a piece of cake.

There's one other place where that tool works to manually operate the
process of the top. It's not your particular problem here, but I'll
mention it anyway. Imagine the roll bar down; standing by the side of
the car and looking down at the roll bar, hidden between the roll bar
and the side panel of the interior of the car is a little "bolt." You
can get the tool in there to operate the bolt, but you cannot see the
bolt with the roll bar down. This is true on both sides of the
interior of the car. These operate to latch/unlatch the sheet metal
tonneau cover that covers the compartment where the soft top resides
while down. If you raise the roll bar, you will see them readily. The
special tool fits this "bolt." Something like a quarter turn rearward
opens the thing and frontward closes and latches it.

Although I shouldn't have been, I was shocked by the simplicity of the
entire process once I'd figured it out.

So, in any event, once I'd cycled-through the whole thing a couple of
times, the whole thing just worked. When I bought mine a year or so
ago, the soft top just wouldn't come out of its compartment b/c the
cover would not unlatch and open. Imagine my thrill upon fixing it
without really doing anything. It "felt" to me as if I'd merely
"reminded it" of its job, and once it had relearned it, it was good to
go.

I hope you are as lucky as I was.

Paul