[R129 SL] Hardtop Jam

Paul Samarin pauls at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 24 17:59:59 EDT 2007

In the owner's manual, hidden in the back somewhere, there are step
by step instructions on exactly what to do. I'll summarize below.

In your toolkit there is a special tool just for this purpose. One
end of it goes into the windshield surround somewhere near the
corner; you turn the latch 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn or so, and the latch
just releases. Same kind of thing on the rear latches, but they are
accessed through the trunk...I guess you won't need those.

Extremely easy fix.

Paul

On Jul 24, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Flodur2 at aol.com wrote:

> In my absence two of my family members tried to put the hardtop on

> my 2002 SL500. They didn't put the rear pins in first, but managed

> to get the front to connect at the windshield. The right front

> seems to be solidly connected but all four rear pins are sitting on

> the rear deck bodywork, not in the receptacle holes. The left front

> attachment seems unlatched. Electrically cycling the switch

> doesn't seem to release the front latch and I am afraid to drive it

> to a repair agency in this condition. Any suggestions on how to

> unlock the right front attachment?

> Thanks,

> Rudy Boentgen

> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.

> The MB Coupes Website!

> R129 SL Mailing List

Paul Samarin
pauls at sbcglobal.net