[R129 SL] R129LIST Digest, Vol 31, Issue 18

Peter Shelton joyce.pm at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jul 23 19:38:58 EDT 2007

Paul,

Yes there is a special MB part number to remove the dash - similar on all Mercs. It is a bit of metal with a 'lip' on one end. Shove them down the side of the cluster and ease it out. I have used them once, but it is far easier to drop the plastic panel below the steeling wheel (above your feet), and push the dash out. There are a few electrical plugs and connectors that unclip and it is a bit fiddly, but the whole cluster and surround will easily come out. Lower the steering wheel and do some Japanese manipulation moves and there she is. Remember to put back ALL the plugs when re-installing other wise there will be a problem. Takes about 15 minutes to remove!

My W123/ W201 dashes takes me about 10 minutes to remove as I have helped lots of people out!. The capacitor takes about 30 minutes to find, unsolder and replace. Do not put too much heat on the circuit board and use a proper temperature electronics type soldering iron and good quality solder - check for dry joints if your soldering looks dodgy! It should be neat and fused into the capacitor leads. Tin the cap leads if not already done!

Overcast here in New Zealand, but hope it is good tomorrow as I have a 520 km drive to our largest city (Auckland - I call it Dauckland). Given our roads it takes a good 6.5 hours with no hold ups/jams but a great drive. We have minimal freeways here and most of the roads are single lane! We only have a population of 4 million here in Godzone! Have a great day.

Regards, Peter S.