[R129 SL] New Tires/ wheels

Steve Hinrichs stevenrhinrichs at cox.net
Sat Jul 21 11:25:07 EDT 2007

HI!

I've got a '95 SL320 that the previous owner cared for well, except for the
alloy wheels (lots of curb rash), which is annoying, to say the least (it
was literally a little old lady!). Anyone have any experience with the "ASA"
brand of aftermarket wheels (similar to OEM wheels, but slightly thicker @
mounting hub)?

The existing tires are Michelin Pilot XGT P225/55 2R 16, which seem to be
performing well, but will need replacement soon. Most driving is highway,
with a fair amount of mountain roads, and little foul weather exposure, and
driving style is not extreme. I would like to maintain wet/dry traction,
cornering, minimal road noise, longevity (as much as possible for a high
performance tire), and not sacrifice any significant gas mileage. After
review of potential tires @ TireRack.com, I am considering the "Bridgestone"
'Potenza' RE960AS Pole Position of the same size as present tires. Any
thoughts, comments, &/or suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve