[R129 SL] R129LIST Digest, Vol 31, Issue 7

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Wed Jul 18 10:04:19 EDT 2007

Dave, just a quick comment on "sealed transmissions". My 1996 SL500 also has this transmission configuration and, with 84,000 miles on the odometer, I figured there was no way I was going to take a chance on a transmission failure just because MB tells me that the transmission never needs new oil and the service that goes with it. So I took it in to my favorite private Mercedes Service location and had them do a complete transmission service, new oil even in the torque converter, new gaskets, filter, etc. I had them show me the oil that came out and it was brown. Since the service the vehicle feels much more willing to go when I step on it and I am very happy that I took control of that situation.
Happy Motoring - George