[R129 SL] Another air conditioning question

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 12 09:59:27 EDT 2007

I have been experiencing a perplexing problem with my 1996 SL500 air conditioning system. I have the means to check the pressure on the system and have noticed that when I first start the car the air conditioned runs normally cold. As I drive and the car heats up the system runs normally, but if I turn off the engine (to gas up) and the out door temp. is hot (in the high 90s) when I restart the car the air conditioner is no longer running cold. This has led me to check the system pressure at various engine temperature stages and the pressure is in the normal 40 - 50 range when the system is cooling normally but jumps to 100 + when the engine is hot and the system no longer is cooling. I do not think I am loosing coolant but need help to locate the problem.

Has anyone any idea of what may be causing this problem?

Thanks, George