[R129 SL] problems automatic gear.

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Mon Jul 9 16:17:38 EDT 2007

further:

I filled up 1 ltr oil what was lost on 15 km.
Driving one km now with the oil on level (like it should be) let the
gearbox shift normal with minimum noise in drive.
When the car is stopped the noise from the oil pump inside the gearbox
comes back and becomes louder.
Looking under the car the oil is dripping out allover the box and the
exhaust; resulting in smoke.
So it seems that the oil seals at the axes are damaged.
So there is no choice left than get the car picked up and bring it to a
mechanic who will repair or exchange the gearbox for the best price.
There is a small change that they can fix the box. I don't know.

SO LET IT BE A WARNING TO ALL OF YOU; CHECK YOUR GEARBOX LEVEL,

And when it is in cold at the maximum , let take out the amount of oil
what is to much.
For some gearboxes the maximum is 10-30 mm under the minimum level in
cold situation. Mine was 10 mm !! and it was filled till maximum.
For sure let the motor run for two minutes and then check the level ; it
should be between minimum and maximum on the dipstick.

I learn my lesson now the hard way. I knew for 3 years and 40000 km the
level was to high, but thought it would not matter so much.
I had the same lesson all ready for my power steering. The maximum is at
the top off the arrows pointed downwards in the oil reservoir.
replaced last month together with the starter.

Now I am going to look on internet for a possible repair company and are
a little bit disappointed about Mercedes and my mechanic who
never take action when I bring the car for maintenance, But I must
regret: it was no Mercedes dealer.

I have repaired and changed to much on this car to let it go, but i am
not happy.

Jan the standing still Dutchmen.