[R129 SL] '98 SL500 Oil Leak

MBKindOfGuy MBKindOfGuy at comcast.net
Tue Jan 2 20:58:10 EST 2007

Thanks for the response George.

I thought about those o-rings too. I've only done one oil change on this SL since we've owned it and don't recall if I used two o-rings or not. I just can't remember, but I am generally pretty good about replacing all the parts like this during oil changes. I too will lower the dust cover (also reduces road noise) and take a closer look. The car was "dry" for about 6 months, and the leaking oil started to appear shortly after I did that oil change, so it could all be related. I do check the level and it's perhaps 1/8" from the max mark on the dip-stick. I don't know if I overfilled the sump during that change. I did put in 8.5 quarts with a new filter.

I use a topsider to suck out the old oil, but perhaps there was some left in the sump when I added the new oil. I've used the topsider on several other MB's, though, and have tested many times to see if any oil remained after sucking it out the dipstick tube by pulling the drain plug. Hadn't ever had even a single drop come out, but none of those oil changes were on an SL. So this time I'll suck it out the dipstick tube, then remove the drain plug and see if any remains. Will report back what I find, when I find the cause!

Regards,
Howard M. Ginsberg
1998 SL500, 59KMiles
1993 300E, 126KMiles