[R129 SL] automatic gear update soap 2

Jan Kuylaars J.kuylaars at kpnplanet.nl
Fri Aug 31 19:05:05 EDT 2007

Peter Shelton, you are a expert on chemicals, can you or someone else
give me advice?

My gearbox is repaired, placed back under the car, and is shifting well,
and no oil loose.
But my car is not yet home.

Why? After de expert had mounted the gearbox he is going to test-drive.
Driving one street he was stopped at the traffic light and some seconds
later the car was full of smoke.
So he drove back the the garage and put the car back on the bridge to
see if there was a leak.
There was no leak, the gearbox was dry, but the oil from the defect
leaking was flown inside the heat shield and the exhaust pipe.
So, the asbestos cloth between the heat shield is filled with oil, and
when the exhaust pipe become warm, the oil start to smoke.
He drove some days small distance and the smoke become less, but he is
afraid that when I drive my car to my home there is
a possibility that the oil will go burning and set my car in fire.

What can I do?

Take the risk and drive some distance and till there comes smoke and
cool of the exhaust and wait with a fire-ex.....
Or dissemble the exhaust and heat up the exhaust with a gas burner away
from the car till the oil is burned out?
Or is there a chemical what will solve this problem by spreading it into
the heat shields?

What is wise?

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Jan Kuylaars