[R129 SL] Tire questions

Steve Hinrichs stevenrhinrichs at cox.net
Fri Aug 31 02:42:50 EDT 2007

Bill,

I just got done going through a bunch of "research" for tires for my '95 SL
320 (44,000 mi), which had 225/55-16 Michelin Pilot XGT tires on the
original 8 spoke alloy wheels. My driving is similar to yours, so I didn't
need Z-rated tires that would be pushed to their limit either. The
Michelin Pilot Sport XGT 24 was eliminated early due to price & feedback
reviews @ tirerack.com. I narrowed the search down to 2 Bridgestone
'candidates'. One was the Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position (high performance
all season), and the other was the Turanza LS-2 (grand touring all season).
I ended up getting Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (grand touring all season),
on the advice of the Bridgestone dealer. It is a relatively new product,
and is, I think, a successor to the LS-2. It has some advantages which I
liked. One, it can be cross rotated, as it is not a uni-directional design.
It is a quiet tire, has a good wear rating, has a good mileage warranty on
it, and is reasonably priced. The dealer said if I wasn't pleased with them
in the 1st 30 days, he would take them back & I could select a different
tire (at a pro-rated adjustment). I have less than 500 miles on them, but
so far, they have performed satisfactorily here in the mountains of
Virginia. I hope this helps some, and let me know what you end up getting.

Steve Hinrichs