[R129 SL] Tire questions

William Alborn voltboy at indy.rr.com
Thu Aug 30 20:00:53 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone!
This is my first post to the Mercedes discussion forum, and, based on the depth of expertise I've seen here, I am very hopeful some of you can provide some direction for me.
I purchased a 1999 SL500 last month, with the AMG options. I never sought to acquire the AMG version, but it was such a lovely specimen, I could not resist. It's really a great-looking car, and I've enjoyed motoring around town in it. The car has ~47,000 miles, and is currently equipped with Z-rated Bridgestone Potenzas. Since the tires look a little worn, I contacted my local Mercedes dealership to see what tires they recommend as replacements so that I would know what to purchase when the time comes. They recommended Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for both the front and rear. I seem to remember comments here regarding these tires (alignment problems?) that set off a "red light", so I thought I would solicit comments from those who have had experience with these or other tires. I should add that I, in no way, will be pushing this car anywhere near its limits-sunny days and relaxed cruising will be the life it leads. Also, I apologize in advance if this question is a rehash of a previous discussion topic, but I am anxious to hear what all you folks have to say about this, in case there is any updated information of which you might know.

Thanks in advance,
Bill