[R129 SL] ASR Problems

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 19:56:38 EDT 2007

In July, Sr. Menichini responded to my question with a posting similar to
his current one. I asked my good friend in Italy and who speaks perfect
English to translate that response for me. This is what Sr. Menichini said in
July:

The sensor which drives the "servo-accelerator" is positioned just behind
the ignition pump and its price is approximately 600 euro. Inside the ignition
pump is located a small ceramic potentiometer. That potentiometer could
deteriorate by time and humidity. If that is the case or if the potentiometer
is broken, that is the reason the ASR warning light comes on occasionally.

Ok, so maybe on my car this sensor is bad (600 euro = $800 plus labor) ands
maybe I also have to replace the "ignition pump" ($$$?). As my M-B service
manager said, I can expect to see a repair bill in the amount of $1000 or
more with no guarantee that this will solve the problem . Sr. Menichini went
on to say:

Further to that the accelerator pedal becomes hard and the engine looses its
power progressively.

Now if I can determine what is meant by "ignition pump" (fuel pump?), I
suppose it would be wise for me to get into the pump and take a look at the
potentiometer. This now raises the questions- how can this potentiometer be
tested, and if found to be bad, can it be replaced? I certainly don't mind
paying a proper fee to have my car maintained in a safe condition, but having
driven Mercedes cars for 45 years, I am very much aware that huge sums can be
spent for needless repairs if one does not investigate thoroughly and
understand just what needs to be done. For many years I was in the business of
restoring vintage (1950's and 1960's) Mercedes cars, but today's cars with their
electronic management systems are a complete mystery to me!