[R129 SL] Electrical problems- update

Oldbenz1 at aol.com Oldbenz1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 09:11:31 EDT 2007

Well, I finally got around to replacing the 470 Mfd capacitor in the
instrument cluster, per suggestions from several list members. Unfortunately I
gained nothing except additional frustration. The ASR light still comes on
after about 1/2 mile of driving (it stays on until I turn off the ignition
switch). My windshield wipers still operate at their own whim, with the
intermittent and low-speed functions working only occasionally (high speed is OK).
Additionally, the lamp failure indicator is also lit up. The right brake light
is inoperative. Fuses are OK and a new bulb does not solve this problem. I
also cleaned and re-tensioned the socket contacts
but continue to have the problem. (Does Lucas supply any of the electrical
components for Mercedes? I am reminded of the many years I drove Jaguars and
the old joke about why the Brits drink warm beer-- Lucas refrigerators!)

On the wiper problem- I removed the cover in the center of the firewall (in
the engine compartment- the one where the cabin filter is located) and also
the one to the right of it, (adjacent to the RF inner fender) but still did not
see the WS wiper motor. Do I have to get at it from under the dashboard?
How the heck do I get at the motor to clean the contacts on the slip ring?