[R129 SL] Sudden Engine miss on my 1996 SL500 - M119 engine

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Mon Apr 16 13:10:22 EDT 2007

Help! I was driving along with everything normal when suddenly the engine began acting weird. It began to act as if it wanted to stall upon acceleration and sounded like a cylinder might have dropped from the firing order. I filled it up right away with good high test gas just to be sure it was not bad gasoline causing the problem. The car has about 81K miles and I have not had anything done to the engine since I got the car about 3 years ago. I removed the air cleaner and associated parts and removed the covers over the coils thinking I could get familiar with the ignition parts layout but to my surprise I found eight ignition coils where the spark plugs should be.

Does this engine not have spark plugs? Ignition wires? Anything resembling the engine setup I am used to seeing?

Has anyone an Idea of what might be ailing this motor? I am reasonably confident this is an ignition problem but have no clue about how to proceed with an initial diagnostic to try to find out what part may be causing my troubles.

I hate not knowing - George Jenner