[R129 SL] New car

Paul Samarin pauls at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 21 13:47:39 EDT 2006

I just recently purchased a 1990 500 SL; the soft top won't come out of
its compartment b/c the cover won't open.  In playing around with it
for a couple of hours with my mechanic, we came to the conclusion
(hopeful guess, really) that the switch was only operating to close the
compartment whether we pushed forward or back.  So, I've bought a
replacement switch to install.

Can anyone give advice on removal of the console for this installation?
  Any other advice/suggestions very much appreciated.

Paul