[R129 SL] RE: R129LIST Digest, Vol 8, Issue 15

Jan Kuylaars jan at rian-bv.nl
Mon Jun 27 12:28:35 EDT 2005

For a long time I had that the ABS came on at the last meters I used my
brakes.
I cleaned the sensors on both front wheels and it stops for a few weeks.
After that some times it comes and it disappears.
Now the ABS an ASR bulbs becomes to burn.

What's happening: The cables from the sensors to the body, laying direct
on the wheel suspension
And every time I made a brake, the car go's with the front down, and the
cable make a small turn.
But after 15 jears the inside cable is broken, and then it makes no
contact, so the computer tells
The system that there is no signal from the sensors, and the car is
running.
So the system for ASR and ABS cannot works properly and so for safety it
shut down and the bulbs are burning.

Then I asked to the local mechanic what the cable\s will cost for my
129. They told me that it was 100 Euro a piece without taxes. And I
supposed I needed two pieces, because when one is gone the other will
not take a long time to follow. I had it with my back wheel bearings;
the second was damaged within 3 months.

Then I go to the second hand part mechanic. He also told me that the
cables were expensive. When I told him that it was only four wires , two
for the sensors and two for the brake-pad , and that it was the same
cable what is used on an normally 500 S, he looked and say that the
cables for the S were 35 euro.

So I bought two used cables for 30 euros and make a measurement if they
were ok. I replaced the damaged one and discovered that it is easy to
measure with a normal ohm measure equipment. When the sensor is ok, the
value is around the 900 ohms. If the cable is broken , the value is not
measurable or lay's in the Mega ohms.

I replaced the cables, but the part to click in the shock absorber was
missing. I take a little iron saw and make a cut at the end off the ring
from the old cable, and take it slowly off the old cable.
So now I could put it over the new used cable and stuck it in the place
where it should be.

So it works with a lot off money less then the asked!

If you have alignment on your shock absorbers you need a different cable
with three wires more !!!
It has two connectors built in and two plugs for the brake pad sensors.

Greetings from the already two weeks Californian like weather country
Holland.
I drive my 129 every day open.

Jan Kuylaars
Holland