[R129 SL] Underhood smoke from my '97 SL500...

Michael Winiker Michael.WINIKER at raymondjames.ca
Fri Jun 3 10:49:11 EDT 2005

Looking for advice:

My coolant light came on yesterday so I bought some ready-mix coolant and
without paying attention to any level indicator just poured a bunch in (I
know, stupid, I was in a mad rush....).

Anyway, today the car is smoking white smoke from below and behind the
coolant reservoir making me guess it's burning off excess coolant.

First, am I endangering my engine, and/or is it possible I've already
damaged my motor?  Second, if it is burning off excess coolant should I not
worry about it, or is there a simple way to drain excess coolant?  Finally,
should I be making a beeline for the service garage?

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Regards,
Michael A. Winiker, B.A., LL.B.
Investment Advisor