[R129 SL] RE: R129LIST Digest, Vol 9, Issue 13

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Thu Jul 28 18:45:33 EDT 2005

Because these studs have broken off outside of the seat on the wheel and because the reason these studs broke off this way was the wheel stud seats are frozen in place, no amount of WD40 and drilling to fit easy outs are going to break them loose.  If you can take the car in to a reliable secondary market wheel shop they will drill out and remove these studs for you.  I have these studs on my SL also so I know the problem.  MB has discontinued furnishing that particular stud because of this problem.  The stud they now furnish is shorter and has no long shank above the seat.  My feeling is MB should take responsibility for removing snapped studs and should replace all of these studs - no charge.  Problem is finding anyone at MB who will accept responsibility.

Margaret Chase Smith:
  When people keep telling you that you can't do a thing, you kind of like to try it.