[R129 SL] FW: Fixing headliner hardtop

Jan Kuylaars jan at rian-bv.nl
Thu Jan 27 05:34:27 EST 2005

You must firsts unscrew the plastic trim under the backside window, and
then remove on both side's the plastic
Covers over the side windows. Unscrew on both side's the handles. Then
for so far I remember, the total headliner
With carton board come loose. Remove the rubber seal on the front side.
To remove the foam and the glue I simply roll
It over with my hand. Then I got a lot off garb itch what I keep on
rolling over the foam. I takes some time to do so, but you can easily
clean the surface of the board and the headliner. I tried to glue the
liner , but without the foam it was a disaster. The I tried it with foam
, but then the glue came true the liner. So I take the stapler and
stapled the outside of the liner fast on the board, so that the liner
becomes flat tightened. Then I used 6 golden buttons from my wife their
Wedding dress and put two buttons with cupper wire true the board on the
place where the board has bend to the backside.
It are the two spots which are the highest on the backside of the board.
Then I did the same with two buttons just before
The sunblendings on the left and two on the right front side.
The liner looks now like it is original, and without glue, so it is also
clean. The cupper wire on the top of the board
I made a figure like a butterfly, so it stays in that position.
It is a easy , cheap and perfect way to repair.
The only thing to ask yourself is if you want to merry for it, or get a
divorce. But I believe some buttons from other cloths will also do the
job if they are big enough.