[R129 SL] Automatic Transmission - Electronic (sealed)

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 20:54:57 EST 2005

I am puzzled about the fact that the automatic transmission on my 1996 SL500 is sealed and can not be checked by me as I am used to doing on every other car I have had with an auto trans.  I asked the dealer about this today when I was in the shop to have the safety illumination interval changed from about 10sec. to about 55 sec.  I asked him if it is possible to flush and change the tran fluid and he told me that he could flush the transmission fluid if I desired but because I had an electronic shifting transmission the cost would be about $250 as opposed to the normal price of $175 for a non-electronic model.  So I am wondering if anyone out there has experience with this and what I might learn about whether it is necessary, or even wise to do maintenance on this transmission which is not giving me any trouble at all.

Happy Motoring
George