[R129 SL] Interior plastic trim

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 09:44:42 EST 2005

I am wondering if others are seeing the problems I see with Mercedes use of interior plastic trim.  I drive my 96 SL500 daily here in North Carolina and find that these interior trim parts are increasingly showing cracks and breaks.  Even the attaching tabs which snap into mating parts are plastic so that when I attempt to remove a trim part I often can not do it, even carefully, without breaking one or more of these tabs.

I wish Mercedes would stop using this material and go to a more lasting material like carbon fiber.  In a car which originally cost a premium to buy I would think they would pay more attention to use of quality materials.  We as owners should make our feelings known to Mercedes insofar as poor quality is concerned.

Happy Motoring,
George