[R129 SL] traction control adam gage

Adam Gage ADAPL12 at ADELPHIA.NET
Thu Jan 20 22:05:21 EST 2005

Jan - thanks for the reply.  I'm in Arizona, where they only snow we see in this part is in pictures.  No rain either, or hardly any of it.

My '99 actually gets pretty good mileage, considering how I drive.  Around town, it's between 15 - 17 MPG, depending on how may Mustangs are trying to torment me, and on the highway it's about 25 - 27 MPG, which is not as good as my 91 300SL was on the highway, but was underpowered around town.

Regards
Adam
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jan Kuylaars
  To: r129list at mbcoupes.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 5:19 PM
  Subject: [R129 SL] traction control adam gage

  So, that is what we can answer here in Holland. Normally when you drive and give a lot of power to the back wheels, one of the wheels will break out and the car drifts into the curve.

  But if a not experience driver do so, the change with a 500 SL that he slips of the road is very high. So when you have traction control and this happens, the sensors mounted in the differential

  Gives a signal to the engine  electronics. That signal drops in one second the engine power down, so the drifting disappears and the car comes steady straight. So that's one of the excellent

  Safety  things that also my wife can drive the car without worrying. I know some guys who did not survived in this case when the drove in their Porsche carrera. They say a good driver don't need

  ASR ( anti slip regulation) , but some times here in the winter I am very glad it is in my car. Sometimes I only give a small amount off gas in the curve, and the yellow warning light goes ´on

   remembering me that the road is slippery. But when you drive with snow chains, and one wheel stands still, the other will make no move. You can try this by pulling the backside up ,

  so the wheels are free, and set the car in the first gear and give a little gas. You do not know what's happening. The back  wheels and layers shake like they fall off because the sensors give

  the engine constant orders to go up-go down. Put on the switch for snow chains and the ASR is off. Now the wheels are rotate normally. So in the snow one wheel can digging while the other

  is standing still. Then when you driving with chains and the road becomes less slippery, the switch automatically goes on ASR  when you drive 60 km/hour say 38 mile.

  So without chains you can drifted true the curves when you set the switch on, but above the speed limit the safety from MB automatically save perhaps your life.

  So only if your car can not get its power to the road and the wheels are slipping, you will be some second  faster with the switch on , because the engine will not be dropped down.

  With kind Regards,

  Jan Kuylaars

  Technical manager Rian BV

It has removed 144 spam emails to date.