[R129 SL] Hard Top Hoist

Peter Cowie cowie at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 21 15:34:35 EST 2005

Further to some concerns about having that precious 40kg hardtop
floating over your cars suspended by a thin wire... I adopted a braces
and belt approach and attached a further 4 eyes into the ceiling joists
to which I attached adjustable webbing straps about 1 1/2" wide . They
have a 200+kg breaking strain and take about 20 seconds to secure.

When hooked under the front and back of the hardtop they locate it so it
doesn't spin and with the rear one tightened up a bit I get a bit more
headroom, and I never have to worry about the effect of gravity and a
sudden stop for the hardtop!

Although the car is driven 98% of the time without the hardtop it's no
problem to attach it and if it happens to be on I don't have to worry
about getting it off (ie there is always a tendency to leave it on and
miss the pleasure of driving in the open)

Peter Cowie
Sydney
Australia