[R129 SL] SL roof hoists

Adam Gage ADAPL12 at ADELPHIA.NET
Mon Feb 21 11:29:52 EST 2005

Do any of the top removers then lower the top all the way to the ground (or top stand)?  I have a panorama top and don't want it floating above my car either.  I'd like to get some sleep at night.

Thanks
Adam
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Victor R. Lopez
  Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [R129 SL] SL roof hoists

  Mike
  We do have awesome weather out here. I had thought about hanging my top (1999 SL 500 sport) I went as far has getting cargo straps at Home Depot. The concern I had was the hooks that would fit under the top and the damage to the rubber seal. I even went as far as trying to use that spongy type pipe insulation. Cutting it down the middle and sliding it over the edge of the top. Also thought of making a plat form from 3/4 inch plywood, eye bolts on the corners, setting the top on that and lifting everything with a boat winch I had around here. All in all way to much drama. I found a top stand on ebay with the sock the top fits into for under 100 dollars. It comes apart and can be easily stored when the tops on the vehicle. Between the end of march, to about May. Sorry had to throw that in.Yeah it took some floor space up but it has wheels and it forced me to clean the garage out to make the room. Currently I have it up against my roll aways. Its fi rm and stable and works for me. Good luck in your choice.
  Victor

  Mike Preiss <mpreiss at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    Anyone have experience (good or bad) with roof hoists? I have a 91 SL and would love to be able to use/not use the hardtop without bugging friends for help.

    Requirements:

    - Don't want to damage the roof or the rubber seals.
    - The ceiling is only about 10 feet, so need to need to be able to get the roof reasonably close to the ceiling.
    - I don't care about motors, I can easily lift the weight.
    - The roof would stay on the hoist for extended periods of time (lot's of good weather here in California).

    Any suggestions?

    Mike Preiss
    91 500SL

It has removed 206 spam emails to date.