[R129 SL] Re: Synthetic Oil

Markus Meyer markusfmeyer at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:36:28 EST 2005

George,

Here is what I did when I switched.  I went to their website and researched,
as well as the internet in general.  I joined for 6 months at a small cost
($10 or so) and got a discount on my purchases.  They shipped directly from
their warehouse to me - I ordered for the year ahead since they recommended
to switch oil once a year for the type I bought.  I also bought oil filters
that I needed since they recommend to switch every six months.  I had
existing oil filters and used them first but decided to get theirs for the
future changes (not required to use their brand, your choice).

I am one of those nuts that used to change my dino oil every 2500 miles.
That gets old fast when you own multiple vehicles.  I switched to Castrol
synthetic and went to 5000 mile intervals.  I got disgusted recently when I
couldn't find local stores stocking what I needed and the prices were going
up ($4-5 per quart) when the Amsoil stuff can be bought by the gallon, and
with the discount, wasn't a whole lot more, maybe $6-7.  But, if I change
once a year instead, that is roughly half the current interval for me as I
did about 10K per year, so its not any more money.  The research I did made
Amsoil sound pretty cool, it started with aircraft lubrication and went to
race cars and now regular cars and all other motors.

Plus, I'm not supporting the big oil companies at least that way and helping
the environment....yeah, that's it!

Markus