[R129 SL] RE: R129LIST Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1 age and milages

George Jenner gjenner at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 14 10:25:18 EST 2005

Jan, when I bought my 1996 SL500 in November of 2004 I bought it from a
dealer in Florida on Ebay.  Sight unseen.  Good price.  Had it shipped to my
door.  Of course I had no way of knowing what oil was used by previous
owner(s) so I started out by just using the regular oil called for in the
owner's manual.  At the second oil change I elected to change to Mobil 1
synthetic and I am currently running that oil.  I think I made the right
decision to go to synthetic oil because now I notice that there is small
improvements in response and mileage (mpg).  Anyway I am changing oil at
7500 intervals and not adding oil between changes (so far).  I read
somewhere that with the R-129 cars it is cheaper to change cars than to
overhaul the motor.  Maybe true, maybe not.

George Jenner