[R129 SL] RE: R129LIST Digest, Vol 13, Issue 1 age and milages

John Kirkman jdkirkk at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 14 08:25:47 EST 2005

Jan
Thank you for the terrific tips on maintaining an SL. Your email goes into
my maintenance log.
Here is some advice from an individual much more knowledgeable than I about
engine oil.

"Use Red Line synthetic oil (www.redlineoil.com)
5W-30, 10W-40, 15W-50 or 20W-50, depending on factory recommendations,
ambient temperatures, and severity of service (track use, sustained high rpm
use), with a drain interval - 7,500 to 18,000 miles depending on engine and
severity of use."

He also races his BMW so consider that when viewing the recommendations.

Also read
http://www.motorwatch.com/automotivebible/auto_motive_bible/MotorOilService.
htm
which has some stuff on oil.
www.motorwatch.com is a pretty good reference generally.

My unscientific view is that once the rubber seals have hardened, it may be
difficult to undue the problem with oil, but it's worth a try. I have been
told that the "real" synthetic oil will always be between the metal parts so
you never have unprotected metal on metal, as is typical on start-up. Its
effect on hardened rubber seals would be an excellent question for
www.motorwatch.com.
I wonder if the humidity of your local climate has some adverse effect on
the fuses in your SL?
John Kirkman (new owner!)
1996 SL600